Wednesday, January 3, 2024

What's in a Name?

    Other than being an important piece of my development as a person and a teacher, and some nominal connections to current faculty, especially those who are also former students, I really feel little connection to The Place any longer. That’s kind of sad, I guess, and was perhaps unnecessary, but it’s hardly a feeling that presents any danger of my spiraling into an abyss. My exit turned out to be a blessing. (Details elsewhere on this blog)

    But I’ve noticed a change that, well, irks is too strong so let’s just say bothers me. The high school I loved has changed its name. Okay, it probably didn’t change itself, being an inanimate object, even if one imbued with a soul. Somebody decided it should no longer be Hancock High School, but Hancock Place High School. 

    As proud as I am of what a dedicated group of teachers accomplished there during those four decades, as previously noted I have little connection and even less influence over these things, so I can assure you I’m neither losing (even a little) sleep nor preparing one last charge at a windmill.

     Still, here’s the thing. The DISTRICT is Hancock Place, a moniker attached because its namesake, the esteemed Civil War general, W.S. Hancock, donated land for the first school. When people asked about the school’s location, they were told, "It’s down by the old Hancock place," directions apparently good enough for the time before Siri and Alexa. 

    As the area population grew and schools multiplied, they were all named for the general, plus political/geographic markers. The elementary schools were Hancock Wards 1, 2 & eventually 3. The junior high was Hancock Junior High. When the high school first came into being, closing in on about 150 years ago, it was named Hancock High School, a pretty good legacy for a man who ran for president and lost. How many other losers have that many schools named for them? 

    Don’t believe me? Just look at the picture at the top of the blog. Revisionist history is all the rage, I know, but I spent my 37 years at HANCOCK HIGH SCHOOL in the School District of Hancock Place, NOT at Hancock Place High School in the Hancock Place School District. I’m not thrilled about having that history, and by extension, my history, erased because, well, maybe there is a reason, but I can’t (or won’t) come up with one that I am going to agree qualifies as GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment