Friday, August 1, 2014

Introduction

It was about this time in 1971 that I was trying to get ready to start the adventure that became my teaching career. That career sent me to places I could never have imagined, introduced me to people of such diversity that I will never be the same, and made me a better person. 
Perhaps that journey is not yet finished; perhaps it will never finish. But it began in a small inner ring suburban district in South St. Louis County that was bordered by the Mississippi, River Des Peres (really more of a drainage ditch than a river), Interstate 55 and other, seemingly random, border lines. I had never heard of it, a K-12 district that always totaled fewer than 2000 students, K-12.
This new blog will reflect my memories of those times. I stress that these will be MY memories, and yours of the same time and events may be different, because we all view the past (and even the present and future) through our own lenses. 
It is not meant to be self-congratulatory, nor to solicit compliments or gratitude. Neither is it meant to dredge up painful memories or settle scores (of which I have almost none, quite frankly). Feel free to follow or comment or ignore. Like most of what I write, this is for my own satisfaction and amusement.
The story of my years at Hancock, this collection of random memories that float around in my brain and bubble to the surface for seemingly no particular reason, will always be, at its heart, a story of love and gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment